Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Infatuated or Love?


This is not about romance so don't be fooled by the title.

In 2007, I fell in love with Francis. Giovanni Francesco Bernadone to be exact. The Poverello, The Little Poor Man from Assisi and his message of peace made me think of how I see life and my relationship with God. This was when I felt depressed and I was looking for meaning in the wrong places.

St. Francis embraced poverty. By doing this he acknowledged his nothingness without God. He propagated peace which I believe he got from the Benedictines and his own experience of useless war. He united himself with God's creation and saw Him in everything and everyone.

Faced with perceived responsibilities and preoccupations, I am now confused if I'm really in love with Franciscanism or is it just an infatuation with its symbols such as the Tau and San Damiano Crosses and the three-knotted rope fastened around a franciscan's waist.

But what about really living out poverty? What about living in chastity and obedience? Am I ready for it? Am I being called to a life with these virtues?

No comments:

Post a Comment